Monday, March 8, 2010

Sunday Evening Pie

I felt like pie so I made one from scratch, from the crust to the filling. I craved an apple pie, the mere phantom of its tart sweetness filled my mouth, turning me into Homer [insert drooling sound]. Unfortunately there were no apples in the house to be had and I was far too lazy to get my butt to the local Walmart to buy some, so I decided upon a Kentucky chess pie instead. The treat is also known as Jefferson Davis pie which is unpleasant, but it is delicious so I won't hold that against it. I need to take a photo of my efforts but for now, imagine a jpeg right... around... here.

The last time I found myself craving something sweet but had limited culinary options, I turned to my savior, Saveur, which is how I originally found this pie. Do not be dissuaded by it's ingredients list, it does not turn out at all as sweet as the listing may imply. It will satisfy a sweet tooth without crippling it. This go-around I used Crisco instead of butter to acquire the elusive flaky crust, only to encounter 'fail'. Well, now I know I prefer butter-based crust, at least when I'm the one making them. Also, either Crisco is coated in salt, or the recipe itself calls for too much salt, or I have grown sensitive but blech, the crust is salty! Not enough to make it terrible but enough for me to notice. Baking is such a science so I find it hard to believe it is the fault of the original recipe, particularly when I have used it before without such results. It has to be the Crisco. See what the pursuit of 'flake' has done? It has polluted my efforts. So, if attempting, do not make any substitutions! Just make it straight and be satisfied. :)

The recipe can be found here, on Saveur.com.

No comments: