Sunday, January 3, 2010

Hair Kick, part 2: daily maintenance

So, I just tried this hairstyle:



with so-so results but that's my fault -- my cornrows were sloppy and didn't have enough 'pop'; I tried a braid-out in the back rather than a bantu knot-out; and the bang in the front didn't have enough braids. Still, it is too cute to not try again, hopefully with better results.

Yikes, I forgot something in my Hair Kick, part 1 post! Combs and brushes! As with the apple cider vinegar (acv) rinse, I alternate the weeks I use a comb on my hair. In fact, I don't use a comb in my hair at all, if I can help it, instead I use Goody Styling Therapy Jojoba Paddle Brush and haven't looked back since. The bristles bend like rubber and massage knots out of the hair, there is no other way to describe it. Many naturals swear by the Denman and I have nothing negative to say since I have never used it but I'll swear by this paddle brush, I really will! Hair loss after use is minimized mostly to shed -- the healthy shedding of hair from the root which occurs naturally in the course of a month. Even with this wonderful brush in hand I only use it on my hair every other week coinciding with the acv rinse weeks and my deep conditioning (dc) day, and then only once so I'm judicious as to when I use it, pre-wash or post-wash. The rest of the time I untangle my hair with my fingers; the first few times the process seems to take forever but once you get it down, it's easy like Sunday morning. Again this method minimizes hair loss mostly to shed. If the latter seems too tedious (trust me, I initially blew it off as such as well), or you really love your comb or Denman, then just remember this: curly haired boys and girls, wide-tooth comb, wide-tooth comb, wide-tooth comb! If you must use a comb, invest in and always use a wide-tooth comb. It will not break your hair (much, or when used properly) and will allow for better manageability. Also, comb hair in sections and start from the ends and work your way up to the root/scalp -- this is also to prevent unnecessary breakage as well as a lot of scalp pain and frustration. Whew.

This post on daily maintenance (part deux) should be more concise than part one but you never know with me, lol. Where did I leave off? Ah, yes -- with my hair conditioned within an inch of its life, sealed and styled for the week. For two days I don't touch my hair; I figure it should take that long for the oil largely to rub off. Once the two day mark has been reached a light conditioner or conditioning oil should be applied to the ends of the hair at least. The end is the most vulnerable portion of the hair shaft since it is the oldest portion thus prone to split ends, dryness and breakage. This step is pretty new to me but I recognize its importance particularly in the winter months when the sapping cold wreaks havoc on the kinkiest strands. Personally I apply shea nut oil, again from Mountain Rose Herb, to my ends as a conditioning oil. Everything I have read touts the oil as carrying all the properties and benefits of shea butter -- another Natural hair girl favorite -- simply in oil form. Again, no more than a few dots do the trick when it comes to oil. I continue this every two days until the next wash day. If my hair feels in need of a little moisture I do have a spritz bottle set aside for such an occasion -- it holds an inch or so of water, a dash of oil and a few drops of Afroveda's Holy Basil conditoner. I spray that on the ends and the roots of my hair before rubbing on the oil. That's about it for daily maintenance.

Until part 3!!!

No comments: