Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Hair Kick, part 1: rinses and conditioners

I've been on a hair kick lately -- roaming YouTube for natural vlogs, hitting google for new hair blogs. It is endless fascinating to me, the variations and similarities in how naturals of all stripes approach their hair. I've learned new lessons and have had old ones reinforced. All this watching and reading has me itching to do another post on my hair so... here it is! LOL


Sister's first cornrow done all by herself!

All regimens need to be fine-tuned, especially when money is tight and the best bang for a buck is required. The current hair regimen scheme can be broken down into four parts -- weekly washes and conditioning; daily maintenance; monthly deep conditioning; and rest months. Let's start with the weekly washes which consist of rinses and conditioner washes (co-washes).

Baking soda (bs) rinse for cleanser, in lieu of shampoo (1 TB bs to 1 C water)
Apple cider vinegar (acv) rinse to clarify, soften and restore PH (1 TB acv plus 1 TB witch hazel to 1 C water)

This is something I have written about previously but there have been some tweaks to this area. For example, while the bs rinse is still used weekly, I now alternate weeks when it comes to the acv rinse. Essentially it shakes out to twice a month for the acv rinse, also coinciding with my monthly deep conditioning (dc) day. The order of usage during the weeks I use both rinses has also changed -- bs rinse first, then acv rinse versus acv rinse, then bs rinse. There has been a noticeable uptick in softness due to that change so, yay for change! LOL The last week or so I've added pure witch hazel (from From Nature With Love) to my acv rinse to a) finish it up and b) to fight off some minor dandruff. Plus the witch hazel kicks up the volume of my hair like you wouldn't believe! My hair just expands! The relative bargain of baking soda and apple cider vinegar coupled with their effectiveness make this combo a cheap no-brainer.

I always follow up rinses, no matter the week, with a conditioner. This is the co-wash portion of the weekly wash and here, Afroveda is my friend. I use their Holy Basil conditioner, $12 for 8 oz, which smells delicious and works like a dream on my thirsty locks. The consistency is creamy, it's very moisturizing and the 8 oz bottle has lasted... well, I ordered it the last week of August; it arrived the first week of September; although I use it weekly the bottle still isn't empty -- and it's the end of December!!! Best. Bang. For. A. Buck. Ever! There are cheaper natural conditioners which pack in more per fl oz, however, they aren't as all natural as Afroveda; and the thimbleful of artificial ingredients in Afroveda's conditioners are nowhere near as bad as the many artificial ingredients in the cheaper alternatives. Afroveda has turned out to be a real find and I've already bought my replacement bottle of Holy Basil since this one is on its last legs.

It's important for anyone (girl or boy) with length -- medium to long, straight or curly -- to wash the hair in sections. It cuts down on unnecessary breakage, makes the job easier (if you can believe it) and ensures your hair gets optimum effect from your products. With the rinses it is important to make sure it reaches the scalp, which is another reason why sectioning is helpful. I do pour my rinses along the hair shaft as well but the scalp is most important since that's where their effectiveness is most required. Always gently rub the scalp -- vigorous rubs are not helpful or required! Rinse out each rinse carefully before moving on to another product. Concentrate conditioners on the ends of the hair which is the oldest and most damage prone part, then work your way up. I try to leave on the conditioner for about 1-3 minutes before washing it out. Once I'm done with the rinse(s) and co-wash portion of my regimen I carefully "dry" my hair.

I write, "dry", because I deliberately leave my hair damp to moist. Hair shouldn't be toweled bone dry, or vigorously handled by a towel either. Worrying about towels and how to use them seems silly and trivial but cotton and other such materials absorb moisture -- that's what makes towels, well, towels. The last thing Black hair needs, however, is a loss of moisture; our hair is the most delicate around and puts a premium on moisture. Not to mention the materials from which towels are made snag, oh-so-easily on our curly, kinky tresses weakening the hair, if not outright breaking it. What I do is drop a towel on my head and press on the center of my head twice, then gently squeeze each hair section once, lift the towel and voila! Hair dry enough not to drip but damp enough for what comes next -- the leave-in conditioner. Conditioners, be they wash-out or leave-in, are better activated under damp to wet conditions. So, leaving my hair damp allows my leave-in to work better magic than dry hair would permit.

Always use a leave-in conditioner post-wash, it is too important a step for better hair health to skip. I use a hair butter by Afroveda called Totally Twisted Ginger Almond Butter ($9 for 8 oz, $15 for 16 oz) as a leave-in. By no means can I claim to have compared every available natural hair butter and/or conditioner on the market to this one. Of the many like products I have researched, though, the Ginger Almond is the cheapest and the most natural for the amount given. Add to this the fact that Afroveda fills every container to the brim and no more than a dab goes a long way and you have the best bang for a buck! Next, I seal in the moisture and conditioner with an oil. Sealing is a recent tip I picked up from the blogs and vlogs. As the word suggests, oils seal in moisture and conditioners by acting as a protective coating between the hair and the elements, allowing the moisture and conditioners to keep longer. It wasn't a hard step for me to pick up since my hair loves (most) oils. Right now the oil of choice is NOW Foods Refined Apricot Kernel Oil bought on Lucky Vitamin on the cheap ($7.99 for 16 oz). I think it can be bought for a few cents cheaper on Mountain Rose Herbs. I use no more than a dot for each twist so, like my Holy Basil, it has lasted a long time after purchase. As part of

I usually style my hair as I apply my leave-in conditioner. If it's too late or I'm too lazy I'll rub the conditioner into each section, retwist and leave as is until the next day. If I know it's going to take me a while to style my hair -- and the realization doesn't discourage me -- I keep a spray bottle of water handy to re-hydrate my locks as I work my way across the whole of my head. To give my scalp some love, I lightly spritz my scalp with a sandalwood hydrosol I bought on Mountain Rose Herbs. I really love the heavy scent of sandalwood -- I always associate it with something holy. Unfortunately hydrosols, by their nature, carry a very light scent but it is still lovely just the same. Plus sandalwood has been prized for centuries for its anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. To seal in the moisture I rub a dab of Qhemet Biologics's Olive and Honey Hydrating Balm along the part and voila! I've got a moisturized and conditioned scalp to go along with my moisturized and conditioned hair.

Whew! Seems like a lot... writes like a lot... but it's pretty simply and quick except for doing up the twists. That is several hours of endurance but I like to do it on a Sunday while watching football so that adds to the time. LOL

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, there. just spent a good 1.5 hrs doing a "quick" scan of your blog. ur posts are eclectic, artistic, and global. it's how my brain works, i guess thanks for sharing, keep it up. ~ chas

sG said...

Wasn't expecting that. Thanks for the comment, Chas! Hope to see you around. :)