Saturday, January 16, 2010

A Winning Saturday

The Saints thrashed the Cardinals which was an outcome I desired until the second half when it became clear this would be a blow-out and my heart was moved to pity. I didn't necessarily want the Cardinals to win but I wanted them to make it a game. Their defense was, is, anemic. I'm not a Saints fan and indeed fervently hoped all season they would fail to complete the perfect season (plus they beat my Giants as if they stole something and they were never right since). Once that became an actuality the fervency was gone and I sincerely dislike the Cardinals more, so... Who dat? Who dat? Who dat, Saints!!!

The Colts triumphed over the Ravens. Until the final two minutes of the first half this match had all the markings of a tightly contested barn-burner. Then the Ravens three-and-outed with about two minutes left on the clock and no team can give Peyton f*cking Manning two minutes (with two time-outs) and not expect to pay the man with a touchdown or field goal. The man is magic. The Colts scored ten points in approximately two minutes and the contest was lost from that moment onward. After one field goal, the Ravens never scored a single point thereafter, receiving not even a sniff at the endzone. I really like Peyton, and the Colts don't generally rub me the wrong way... though I call foul on cutting out on that Jets game, as well as the ones which followed! However, the way they won more than the win itself, as vital as it was, will subside the disgruntled whispers across the myriad fandom.

I am a fool but I am a fool with a good excuse. By the time I wrote my blurb on the Giants needing to fire their defensive coordinator, Bill Sheridan, the deed had already been done. A number of heads rolled by the time I wrote my post, in fact. My good excuse for not knowing this? I was so embarrassed by the Giants play I avoided all sports news outlets including my favorite Giants' site, the Big Blue View. I neither wished to read nor hear anything about the Giants. I knew if I waited long enough, with the start of the post season so close, I could avoid hearing my beloveds described as the losers they turned out to be this season. Cowardice. To quote Walter Bishop (of Fringe fame), I am learning to appreciate it.

Finally, the Australian Open starts today and I can't wait!!!! Plus the Cowboys vs. the Vikings, and the Chargers vs. the Jets. A very good sports day is a-comin.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.