Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Tuesday Morning Liqueur


If it hasn't yet been made apparent, I am fascinated by a great many things, given to romantic stirrings over the classic and mundane. I am not a 'liqueur person'; for a good many reasons I limit my intake of alcoholic beverages. So it is with some incredulity that I recently found myself ensnared by articles enthusing the joys of homemade cordials & the like. Really. Like this fascinating little gem on 'milk liqueur' on Lottie + Doof, for example. Or this appealing piece of sunset in a glass courtesy of Gastronomer's Guide. Just glancing at it makes me ache to make it -- it's so simple (looking)! What stops me, however, is the question of who will consume my eager, eager efforts? Who?! Aside from a sip here and there, I will largely let it go to waste... unless I can successfully cook with it. That has been my thing for the last year or so; I cooked a lot of meats with some homemade Trini wines and they (the meat and the spirits) were much more delicious that way. We had Cane, Aloe, Ginger, Tomato (which was the best for drinking and for cooking) and something else I can't remember. So, if I can cook with any of the liqueur recipes that have been catching my eye, I may be able to talk myself into making a batch. I can also always send it away to friends, right?

In just writing this article I learned a little something, like the difference between liquor, liqueur and cordials. Well, I thought it fascinating.

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.