Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Fashionably Late to the Party?



Kid Cudi doesn't have the flow I prefer but his lyrical strength and charm more than make up for that tiny, tiny, tiny deficit. I like his flow, I do, it is just not my favorite type. However, I am (fashionably?) late to the party so there's a very good chance I am speaking out my ass. Knowing myself, it is a certainty. So what is the remedy for such fashionable tardiness? A thorough Kid Cudi musical gorging! Sure, gorging is impolite and indelicate to say the least but what else can one do to make up the difference? Tucking in, let the gorging begin... or, um, continue since it has already begun with 'Pursuit of Happiness'. Actually I guess it began with 'Poke Her Face' or whatever, however, I wasn't in love with that song; it didn't force me to take notice. Plus I had to work past my initial "So Annoying!" gut reaction. I also admit to being a bit turned off by The GaGa, although I will concede a few of her singles are quite catchy. Back to Kid Cudi: the next bon-mot is 'Soundtrack 2 My Life' (which, just a few bars in, I already love).

1. 'Pursuit of Happiness' linked from iLike
2. 'Soundtrack 2 My Life'
3. 'Lovestoned freestyle' linked from BigHouse
I am not in love with this song but it is
undeniably sweet.
4. 'Day n Nite' linked from Newborn Rodeo
At first I thought to file this under the same
heading as his 'Lovestoned freestyle' -- obviously
talented but not enough of a draw for me.
Instinct, however, tells me a few more listens
will take this strangely addictive beat and
fresh, imaginative lyrics from solid to f-ing
brilliant.
5. 'Sky Might Fall' linked from iLike
6. 'CudiZone' linked from iLike

Interrupting our current schedule of music to editorialize...

Shit. Seriously, so far, so good. Ooh, ooh, I love when I am given an opportunity to fall in love with an artist versus a song.

We will now continue our scheduled Cudi gorging... (at a later date)

7. Alive (Nightmare)
Eh.


Sigh, it is times like these I wish I listened to radio because maybe I wouldn't be so behind the bell-curve. Then again, radio makes me want to claw at furniture and my face in screaming frustration so... maybe not? Unlike Beyonce, I am not in love with my radio, once upon a time perhaps, but certainly no longer.

No comments: