Monday, November 16, 2009

All Good Things Come In Threes...???

Last post. I swear it. It occurred to me, as I moved to close this browser tab, that I never posted my finished sapphic verse poem (click here for more details). It won't win any awards but here it is:

*



Only ageless quiet attends our altars
Shrouds our days in motes and in shade - a half-life
Lived in half-light. Even our fire can pale in
....Twilight and gray or
Starve in empty temples. But instinct never
Wavers, never dulls in the pitch: the God Who
Slumbers in the Waters still sleeps; the sun still
....Sets in our brother's
Bloodless breast. We follow the endless arc to
Guard the sun. Descend to lustrate in gold-tipped
Shrines where chanted litanies hailed the dawn. But
....No one reveres us

Now: a younger god has transfixed man's needy
Eye. Unsung, we leave empyreal climes, slough the
Night off (like a barnacle fastened to the
....Hip of the sun) to
Pace abandoned Houses. In temple dusk we
Wonder - will we ever again be met at
Dawn? Be praised, our manifold Names half-sung? Will
....Anyone love us?


photo & poem copyright belongs to: Shanee Gbelawoe

*

Shameless plug but do remember to check out the two posts following this one as they are new too! And about music!

2 comments:

MixedBlood said...

I wish I could hear you recite this one.

sG said...

I don't. My tone takes on a decidedly arch tilt and it sounds very fake and off-putting.

But that you want to hear my voice is sweet. :)